Embedding a Google Calendar into NetAdventist 3.0
netAdventist 3.0 has the ability to embed media from other websites using iFaming. From within the content page editor you can insert html scripts to embed information and graphics from another site. This method of embedding media is extremely helpful if you are using a calendar from another site such as Google. The advantage of embedding a calendar into netAdventist 3.0 is that when the original calendar is updated that update is immediately visible on netAdventist. Google offers a free calendar when you create a free email account. The instructions listed below are for embedding a Google calendar, but the methods used can be incorporated with other content that is iFrame compatible.
How to get the iFraming script from Google to embed in netAdventist 3.0:
- Go to www.google.com and select the Gmail link in the top left corner. If you have a company Gmail account use whatever method you have to access this account.
- Log into your account. If you don't have an account, go ahead and create one.
- Once logged in to your Gmail account select the Calendar link in the top left corner. Your calendar opens.
- Select the Settings link in the top right corner of the Google calendar page.
- The setting page opens, select the Calendar link/tab at the top of the page.
- An Edit calendar page opens. Pick the Calendar you wish to embed in your netAdventist site and select the Shared: Edit settings link in the center of the page. You will need to set this Calendar to public otherwise it will not display in netAdventist 3.0. To do this select the Make this calendar public and select the check box. Select Save. Note: Since this calendar is public make sure the information displayed is appropriate to display to the public.
- You are taken back to the Calendar setting page. Select the Calendar you wish to display by clicking on the name of the calendar which is also a link.
- A new page opens called Calendar Details. Go to the Embed This Calendar section on this page.
- Highlight the text in the field and copy it by typing Ctrl "c" or Command "c" depending on the computer you are using. You are able to edit the layout by selecting the Customize color, size and other options link. This will open an edit window so you can make modification to your calendar script. After each edit you will need to select the Update HTML button for your changes to be added to the script. This button is found in the top right of the screen next to the script field. You will need to copy this script for inserting into netAdventist 3.0. Note: We have found that 800 by 600 is to big for the current netAdventist 3.0 content pages. The best sizing to fit the page is 500 by 400.
How to insert a Google Calendar on a content page in your netAdventist 3.0 site:
- Log into your netAdventist site and select the Dashboard link.
- Select Website pages from the tab bar in the Dashboard.
- Select Content pages from the left menu and pick the content page you wish to embed the Google calendar in by selecting it or choosing the edit link. Or, create a new page.
- Scroll down to the editor and select the HTML tool from the second row of tools.
- A window opens containing a HTML script (Code) version of your page. If the page is blank the HTML script window will be blank.
- Select the location you want the iFraming script you copied from Google to go by placing the curser there. Then paste it in by typing Ctrl "v" or by Command "v" depending on the computer you are using.
- Select the Insert button.
- Add a main menu, sub-menu, or link to this content page if you haven't already done so.
- Now when someone goes to view this calendar they will click on the link and your embedded Google calendar will display. Note: If you have forgotten to make the calendar public, you will get a login screen when the link is selected. You will not be able to login, you will need to change the Shared: Edit settings on the Google calendar and then re-insert the iFrame script.