iCal or ICS Calendar
The netAdventist calendar makes it easy for you to add an iCal or ICS calendar to your website. These instructions cover adding a Google iCal calendar to your site. Any shareable calendar can be added as long as it conforms to the ICS standard- that is, it has a .ics extension.
NOTE: This training video hasn’t been created yet for the new Version 4. The main difference is that Website Pages is now called Site Content. Google has changed their links for adding an iCal. The instructions below have been updated.
- If you haven’t already done so, Log in to your netAdventist website and select the Dashboard link at the bottom of the homepage. You will be taken to the Site Content tab. If you haven't already activated Events in Extensions go to Settings and activate it. See the Extensions training video for further instructions if needed.
- Select Calendar in the left navigation bar. You will be taken to the Calendars Published page.
- Select Add Calendar to create a new calendar. You will be taken to a page where you can add additional calendars including iCal or ICS formatted calendars.
- On the page that opens give your calendar a name and select a color. The External Calendar field is where you will be adding your Google ICS calendar url. If you already have your ICS calendar URL, enter it here then select Save.
- If you are using Google for your calendar, here is how you get the ICS Google calendar URL. Login to your Gmail account. If you don't have an account go ahead and create one by going to www.google.com.
- Once logged in to your Gmail account select the Apps icon next to your account name at the top right. Select the Calendar link in the dropdown apps box that appears. Your calendar opens.
- Select the Settings menu icon in the top right corner of the Google calendar page. Then select Settings from the dropdown menu.
- The Settings page opens. Select your calendar from the left navigation bar. You will need to set this Calendar to public otherwise it will not display in netAdventist. To do this, under Access permissions, select the checkbox Make available to public. Note: Since this calendar is public make sure the information displayed is appropriate to display to the public.
- Next select Integrate calendar from the left navigation bar.
- Highlight the URL under Public address in iCal format and copy it by typing Ctrl C or Command C, depending on the computer you are using.
- Next go back over to your netAdventist website and paste the copied ICS url from Google into the new External Calendar box by typing Ctrl V or Command V.
- Save your Calendar.
- The iCal calendar will display as a new calendar on the calendar page. You will be able to view it but not add events to it. To add new events, add them to your Google calendar. New events can take up to 24 hours to show on your netAdventist calendar.
Note: If you create a template for All Calendar/Events pages with no Containers, it will make your calendar the full width of your website unless you have your Main Menu in a Sidebar Container. For more information see the Templates training video.