iCal or ICS Calendar
The netAdventist calendar makes it easy for you to add an iCal or ICS calendar to your website. These instructions cover adding a Google iCal calendar to your site. Any shareable calendar can be added as long as it conforms to the ICS standard- that is, it has a .ics extension.
NOTE: The training videos haven’t been created yet for the new Version 4. The main difference is that Website Pages is now called Site Content.
Adding an iCal or ICS Calendar
- If you haven’t already done so, Sign in to your netAdventist website and select the Dashboard link at the bottom of the homepage. The Events extension needs to be activated in the Extensions. Refer to the Extensions training if further instructions are needed.
- Select the Website Pages tab at the top of the page.
- Select the Calendar link in the left navigation bar. The calendar is where you place events. The link expands to reveal additional calendar options.
- Select the Published folder. You will be taken to a page where you can add additional calendars including iCal or other ICS calendars.
- Select Add Calendar. On the page that opens give your calendar a name and Select a color. The External Calendar field is where you will be adding your Google ICS calendar url.
- Next go to your Google calendar. If you have a company Gmail account, use whatever method you have to access this account.
- Login to your account.
- Once logged in to your Gmail account select the Calendar link in the top left corner. Your calendar opens.
- Select the Settings link in the top right corner of the Google calendar page.
- The setting page opens, select the Calendar link/tab at the top of the page.
- An edit calendar page opens. Pick the Calendar you wish to use on your netAdventist site and select the Shared: Edit settings link in the center of the page.
- You will need to set this Calendar to public otherwise it will not display in netAdventist 3.0. To do this select the Make this calendar public and select the check box. Select Save. Note: Since this calendar is public make sure the information displayed is appropriate to display to the public.
- You are taken back to the Calendar setting page. Select the Calendar you wish to display by clicking on the name of the calendar which is also a link.
- A new page opens called Calendar Details. Go to the Calendar Address section and select the iCal format icon. A window will open with a ICS calendar url. Highlight the text in the field and copy it by typing Ctrl C or Command C depending on the computer you are using.
- Next go back over to your netAdventist website and paste the copied ICS url from Google into the new External Calendar box.
- Save your Calendar.
- The iCal calendar will display as a new calendar on the calendar page. You will be able to look at it but not add events to it. To add new events, add them to your Google calendar. New events will take up to 24 hours to show on your netAdventist calendar.