Use the Podcasts extension to upload a series of audio or video files for your site visitors to view or listen to. It is ideal for broadcasting weekly sermons, discussions, or lectures. Our Podcast extension also includes a media player that plays audio and video podcasts on your site. In addition, you have the option of linking related material to your podcast, such as a PowerPoint or Excel file. netAdventist will also automatically generate the URL subscription feed you will need to publish your podcast on iTunes.
netAdventist accepts most audio and video formats for upload and download on most computers, however the internal player will only play .mp3, .wma, .mp4 (with a codec based on H.264), .wmv (Windows media video) and .flv (Flash) file formats. There are many software programs out there that will create files in these formats. iTunes on Macs and PCs work nicely for converting into MP3 format. Nero (for PC users) can create .MP4 files. PC users can also use MediaCoder (free).
It is important to enable streaming optimizations in whatever software you use to create MP4 files. If you do not do this, the file must download completely before it begins playing in the viewer's web browser.
The new training video hasn’t been created yet for this feature.
- If you haven't already done so, Login and select the Dashboard link at the bottom of your homepage. You will be taken to the Site Content tab. If you haven't already activated the Podcasts in Extensions go to Settings and activate it. See the Extensions training video for further instructions if needed.
- Select the Podcasts from the Left Navigation bar. You will be taken to the Podcasts index page. If your site has existing entries, you will see the title, date and number of entries for each podcast. Select the Add Podcast button on the upper right.
- You should see two tabs for the two steps in creating your podcast: 1) Podcast Details and 2) Privileges.
- Enter a Title for your podcast. Think of this as a folder where you will add your future audio and video files. Fill in the other info that you want.
- Next select tab 2 Privileges. Choose from the options of who can view the page. When done, click Save.
- Now you can select either the Add an Audio File or Add a Video File button at the bottom of the page to add media to your podcast.
- A dialog box will open giving you the opportunity to select an Audio in Library (or video) or Upload. The first tab is to choose a file already loaded into your library or you can select the Upload tab and select a media file from your computer to upload. Choose a file from the list then press the Insert button to add the media file to the podcast.
- Or, to upload a new media file select the Upload tab in the dialog box. See the File Library training video for more information if needed. Choose the file you wish to add, check the copyright checkbox, and select Start Upload. When completed, the box closes and file details open.
- When the media file is added you can click the Edit button to add a title, description, presenter and date that will display on your podcast page. You can also Choose a File Type to Add a link to your podcast.
- You can also edit your Privileges with tab 2. When done select Save. You can also drag and drop your files into any order by selecting a file and dragging it into any place in the order. Note: Files added to Podcasts are sorted by most recently added by default. If you manually change the order of your files within a Podcast, your manual sort will override the default sort. You can delete a podcast or a file within a podcast by clicking the X to the right of the title.
- In the Published folder you can select the Edit link to modify it or add more files to it.
- To add an external podcast from another source, select the Subscriptions (RSS) subfolder from the Left Navigation bar. Click on the Add External Podcast button on the top right. Enter the URL address of the external podcast in the field provided. Select Import.
- The podcast feed will be added to the External Podcast page and will automatically generate a title and description to accompany it.
- Podcasts can be displayed on your homepage by adding a Podcast widget or a Main Menu item. See the Widgets or Main Menu training videos for more information. You can use the link chooser to add a podcast to any content page.