The netAdventist News Desk extension allows you to add dated news and articles, with images, directly into a widget. You also have the option to add a image only widget where the image is a link to a news story at another web address.
The new training video hasn't been created yet for this feature.
- If you haven't already done so, Log in and go to the Dashboard. You are taken to the Site Content tab. If you haven't already activated the News Desk in Extensions go to Settings and activate it. See the Extensions training video for further instructions if needed.
- In the horizontal navigation bar, select the News Desk tab.
- Before you create a new articles or advertisements, you will need to create new categories. Select the Categories folder from the News Desk left navigation bar and select Add Category. In the dialog box that opens, give your category a title and select Add Category.
- You are taken to the category settings page. Select the settings you want applied to your category and select Save.
- To be able to make your article part of an Issue with a start and finish date, select Settings in the News Desk left navigation bar. Select the Issues radial button to turn them on. Select Save. Note: if you select an issue in the Article Setup your article will not show until the publish date of the issue.
- To create a News Desk article, select the Articles folder from the News Desk left navigation bar.
- On the Articles index page, select Add Article. Enter a title for your article. Choose a category and an issue from the drop down then select Add Article. You are taken to the article setup page where you will be able to add several article details.
- Select an author for your article. If you don’t have any authors added, select the Add Author link and add a new author. Note: Authors can be created by going to the News Desk navigation bar and select Authors and add them there as well.
- Select Main Feature Article checkbox if you wish to display the featured article in the associated widget. Add an article photo. Add a summary. Add a quote. Note: there is an associated widget that allows you to show a quote on the homepage. This is where it gets the quote for the current article posted. Add an article body. You can attach a podcast and allow comments to be made on your article.
- When finished, select Publish. There is also the option to Save as Draft.
- To create a News Desk Advertisement, select the Advertisements folder from the News Desk left navigation bar. Note: To use the News Desk Advertisement feature you will need a url to the original article you are linking to. Also, when you add a News Desk Advertisement widget, the photo is the only link in the widget.
- On the Advertisement index page, select Add Advertisement. Enter a title for your advertisement and a URL, a Priority and Category from the drop downs menus. Next choose a advertisement photo. The photo will appear original size so if your photo is large, you will need to reduce it in size to fit in the widget container (about 150 x 200 works good). When finished, select Activate. You are taken to the advertisement index page.
- To show your Articles, Advertisements, Features and/or Quotes on your website, you will need to add the News Desk widgets. See the Widgets training video for further instructions if needed.
- Once News Desk widgets are added, they will show in the widget container as: Latest Articles, Advertisements, News Desk Features and News Desk Quotes. For them to show on your website, select the link for each widget to edit it (except the Quotes widget doesn’t have an edit function). Edit the widget. Articles need to have a category selected to show up as latest articles. Select Done once you are done editing settings. Then select Save and Return.