The Main Menu is the primary way website visitors will navigate your site. It will likely contain links to your most important site pages and sections.
- If you haven't already done so, Log in and go to the Dashboard. You are taken to the Site Content tab.
- Select the Main Menu link from the left navigation bar.
- Home is the only default menu item. Click on the Add menu item button on the top, right side.
- In Menu text, enter a name for the menu.
- To link your menu item to a page within your own site, Choose the Page Type that is Content Pages, News, etc. in the first drop-down box. Now in the second drop-down box, you can Choose a specific page to link to from within that category. For example, if you select Content Pages as the page type it will generate a list of all your content pages in the page link box. Select Index to show all the content for a given category. If you are linking to an external website, check the Use Custom URL box and paste your URL there. Select the checkbox if you want the link to open in a new window or tab. We recommend this if the link leaves your website.
- Select Save. You should now see your new menu item at the bottom of the main menu list. To add additional menu items, repeat the same steps. Note: For themes with a horizontal main menu, we recommend you use fewer main menu items and add sub-menu items.
- To create a sub-menu, select the Add sub item link and repeat the steps for adding a menu for sub-menus.
- To edit a link select Edit next to the menu text. To delete a menu item, click the “x” next to the menu text. To move a menu item to a new location within the list, drag and drop it into its new location in the list.
- Select View site on the upper right to see the menu you have created.
Additional menus can be created in widgets. Refer to the Menu Widget training video for further instructions.